Rangers / Naturalists
Dilmah Tea’s Resplendent Ceylon is creating a collection of small, luxury resorts that offer the discriminating traveller a unique circuit across Sri Lanka, with a range of authentic cultural experiences, while contributing towards local communities and the environment through the MJF Foundation & Dilmah Conservation. The circuit currently comprises of three resorts, all members of Relais & Chateaux. We call it the Resplendent Sri Lanka Journey – Tea, Sea & Safari.
Wild Coast Tented Lodge is the latest addition to our portfolio. This luxurious tented camp is nestled into the jungle alongside a rugged, isolated stretch of beach, next to the Yala National Park.
We seek to enhance our team of talented rangers who deliver an exceptional wilderness experience to our guests, extending our bespoke hospitality and high-touch service deep within the jungles of Yala, and surrounding National Parks.
As a ranger/naturalist, your key role is to provide memorable and informative game drives and experiences for lodge guests. Rangers/naturalists will accompany guests on game drives in national parks, jungle walks in permitted areas, provide factual and interesting narratives not just on sightings but on the park’s wildlife and biodiversity as well.
In addition, the following related responsibilities are vital to the success of the role:
• You will be responsible for the safety and well-being of guests in your care so sound judgement is essential. You will also ensure they are comfortable and you will make quick decisions on the run to troubleshoot.
• You will work closely with the leadership team to brainstorm and deliver unique ways to make guest experiences special and memorable. E.g. This may extend to working with, and learning from the F&B team to execute remote dining experiences, sundowners etc.
• You would become a champion of conservation and sustainability projects embarked on by the lodge.
• You may be required to work in other properties within our brand, and/or attend training offsite.
• You will be responsible for knowing thoroughly the legal framework and permissible activities inside protected areas (eg: the FFPO for National Parks)
• The Resplendent Ceylon brand depends on delivering an exceptional customer experience that is seamless – to that effect, we do not compromise on teamwork, emotional IQ, and sound character.
• Basic photography skills would be useful.
• Good communication skills are vital with a good command of English.
The pillars of the Resplendent Ceylon brand are protected and delivered by our passionate, hard-working team. Once on board, we will invest in developing successful candidates to:
• Develop their knowledge further on wildlife, natural sciences and other skills.
• Utilize feedback from clients and management to improve themselves.
• Develop a business acumen that is needed to leverage on to deliver value to clients.